Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Creation of an Afghan

March 28, 2010

I'm going to do something different with this posting. I had an idea for a new afghan and figured out the pattern and dimensions and then lost them. Since it is a ripple afghan, I don't really need a pattern, so I'm going on with with I do remember.

I'm going to post all photos and notes as I go under this one heading and change the date so that it is always near the top. That way the project will be together from start to finish and I can watch it grow myself.

When using up some scrap yarn to make a scrap afghan I thought an afghan in rainbow colors would be pretty, but I didn't want primary colors, so I chose these. It is just red heart, acrylic, 4 ply yarn. I would like to use nicer yarn, but as it is more expensive, I just use this. It wears well.



First I made a chain of quite a bit longer than I wanted. Then made the ripple pattern with 9 stitches on the incline and descent, with three stitches in the "top" stitch of the ripple and skipping two a the bottom, using an almost white, but not quite yarn.



I've started the edge with one row of each color separated by the soft white, working in the back stitch of each single crochet.



I'm not really sure which side should be considered the right side, since the above photo shows the colors more than this lower photo, in which the afghan is turned over.



Now working on the body of the afghan, with larger stripes of each color.



It is turning out narrower than I wanted, so I will have to pay attention to how long it is getting. I did a little figuring all ready to make sure I don't end up with something long and skinny.

May 5, 2010

So much for updating progress as I go along, since it is now finished.


Accessories not included.

After finishing the stripes, I thought the edges looked a little plain so I put a soft white single crochet edging on the sides.



The picture below shows the whole pattern better.


If you notice the stripes on the end are opposite, one is light and the other dark. I goofed by using an odd number of rows between the main body of the afghan and the top and bottom.
It is all packaged and ready for giving. And it isn't going to anyone that regularly reads my blog. (I don't' think, anyway.) I've already decided on the recipients.

And look, I've already started another one.

6 comments:

  1. It's looking very nice - I think it could go either side up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rainbow Ripple,
    This looks like it will be fun, bright and cheery....and your pot-o-gold-reward when you're done, will be how much you like it?
    love,
    The One who does not knit or crochet but always admires those who do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's going to be a bright pretty one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo pretty, Shelley. I should have you teach me how to crochet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun to see the finished work!
    Looks like it turned out nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, I'll have to show Becky, she has just started crocheting and loves looking at new designs.

    ReplyDelete